The dyeing bug has hit me hard. I had to put all of my supplies away so that I’d stop playing with them.
After the first batch of fibers, I wanted to try for some lighter colors. I think this is potentially going to be difficult for me – for spinning fibers, I am very drawn to the natural fleece colors and deeply saturated jewel tones.
I used a pretty simple immersion technique (more about this soon) for the first fibers I dyed and was able to create deep and somewhat saturated colors:
I wanted to be able to dye some fiber that would have a little more variation to it when it was spun. The easiest way to do this (or so it seems to me) is to leave some undyed areas in the fiber. Instead of using an immersion technique, I painted the fiber and used an oven steam method. I used wool rovings this time (instead of superwash).
Here are some of the results:
As you can probably see, the purples and blues seem to be my favorites right now…
I added some orange-red to this one, hoping for a sandy brown and I actually had pretty good luck. This roving is very reminiscent of summer to me, very beach-y.
I also dyed this roving using an immersion technique similar to my first try, but using slightly less dye and I applied it in a somewhat different way (more on this soon, too):
I can’t seem to get a photo of this one that really captures the colors. It is definitely mostly purples and greens, but there are also many, many shades of gray in this roving.
That’s all for now.
Enjoy your St. Patrick’s Day (have some green beer or something).